Sunday, January 4, 2009

Blue Bloods by Melissa De La Cruz



4 stars

Schuyler Van Alen, always the outcast at her upscale private school, suddenly finds out that she's a member of an elite "family" of vampires, The Blue Bloods. The Blue Bloods came to America on The Mayflower trying to escape the one thing that can kill them. For centuries they've lived in peace. But now the danger is back.

This was definitely a different take on vampires. I enjoyed the story. It managed to keep my interest throughout. I really loved the way that the author took real historical events, like the disappearance of the original Roanoke colony, and made it such an intriguing part of the story. There was a period in history where people actually did equate consumption with vampirism. I thought that was a nice touch. I've heard a few different people say this was better than Twilight. I don't agree, but I did enjoy the story and look forward to the next in the series.

5 comments:

Charissanh said...

I thought the same way you did about this book. Since you liked this one, you will like the sequels to it... I certainly did!

Jennifer said...

Thanks Charissa! I've already added the next one to my wish list. This one definitely left me wanting to know what happens next.

Anonymous said...

I'm interested to read this one. I picked it up at my last visit to Borders but I'm still in the middle of The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray.

Ladyslott said...

I'm just commenting here, because I didn't know where else to say hi!

It's me Ladyslott, I didn't know you had a blog- it's really beautiful. I just started blogging this past January, I am rather lax about though- PBT and all. I'm at
http://ladyslottsbookspot.blogspot.com/

It's pretty basic- I'm computer literate but I find blogging a new world and haven't quite figured out it's place in my life.

You don't need to post my comments, just wanted to say hello.

Anonymous said...

I have this book on my list! :) I can't wait to get to it.